Health, Safety & Environment Coordinator (Houston, TX)
Merfish United, a member of the Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. family of companies, is the largest master distributor of standard pipe products in the United States, serving wholesale distributors only from our fleet of flatbed trucks. We are looking for a Health, Safety & Environment (“HSE”) Coordinator to join our Houston, Texas-based team!
Position Description and Responsibilities
The HSE Coordinator will be responsible for implementing and managing the overall corporate HSE and corporate risk management programs, reporting to the Vice President of Operations. This position will manage the corporate safety program while ensuring compliance with all Federal (e.g., OSHA, DOT, etc.), state, local, and other applicable safety codes and regulations. This position will ideally be based in Houston, TX, with regular travel required to our Distribution Centers throughout the country.
- Monitors and analyzes risk and safety concerns within the organization and reports findings and recommendations for mitigating the risk through a thorough job Safety Analysis program.
- Creates and implements safety training and train-the-trainer programs.
OSHA Compliance and Safety
- Implements policies and processes to ensure organizational compliance with OSHA standards and other applicable health and safety regulations.
- Ensure compliance and communication and report to regulatory organizations.
- Conducts on-site visits to Distribution Centers throughout the country to conduct safety audits and training; prepares written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventative measures; follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Track incident metrics and apply findings; maintain safety files and records.
- Develops and manages all disaster and emergency planning management activities across the company.
- Monitor current government safety metrics related to commercial vehicle operations.
- Conduct training in crash and injury prevention areas, including defensive driving, cargo securement, back injury prevention, etc.
- Possess a good understanding of USDOT/FMCSA regulations.
- Follow and understand current Fleet Safety Best Practices.
- Support all aspects of the workers’ compensation program.
- Investigates accidents and work-related injuries to determine causes and circumstances; conducts post-accident investigations and prepares after-incident reports, identifying possible accident causes and hazards and corrective actions.
Vehicle and Fleet Management
- Partners with Transportation Manager on fleet maintenance, safety & DOT compliance issues
- Investigate accidents and work-related injuries to determine causes and circumstances, and processes necessary to process vehicle accidents
- DOT experience and distribution industry required.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of federal and state safety and occupational health standards, laws, codes, and policies.
- Experience in reporting requirements for occupational accidents, injuries, illnesses, and subsequent reporting requirements and the ability to research and reference those regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in EHS-related field of study and 3+ years of experience in EHS roles.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build strong cross-functional relationships.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 apps, like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Travel required (25% – 30%)
- Affordable and comprehensive medical insurance
- Vision, Dental, Short-term Disability & Life insurance included
- 401k plan with employer matching contributions
- Paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
Job Type: Full-time
Merfish United, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.