- Winter Storm Uri hit critical PVC supply chain infrastructure in the Southern U.S.
- PVC resin producers have been declaring force majeure, limiting availability of raw materials.
- This will affect PVC pipe mills’ ability to maintain production levels and supply.
- We are monitoring the situation and will provide availability and pricing updates.
UPDATE, 2/19: More PVC resin processors have declared force majeure, further straining availability and supply.
One of the major producers of PVC resin, the raw material needed for production of PVC pipe, has declared force majeure due to the effects of Winter Storm Uri on the U.S. Gulf Coast. Force majuere is when unforeseeable circumstances prevent the fulfillment of a contract. In this case, Uri has caused rolling blackouts and dangerous conditions on rail, road and ocean shipping channels. PVC processing plants, located in the heart of the affected region, are in some cases unable to maintain their normal supply chain operations.
PVC pipe mills are now letting customers know that because of Winter Storm Uri, as well as other factors like an already strained PVC resin supply, that their ability to maintain inventory and production levels could be affected. Please call your Merfish United for more information or to place orders. They can help with any questions you have on your upcoming spring PVC purchases, especially during this volatile time.
How We Can Help:
We keep our stock high, so you don’t have to. As we face extreme volatility in the commodities market, remember that Merfish United’s business model is designed for low and unpredictable volume scenarios, exactly like the one we are in right now. With us, wholesalers can buy a broad array of pipe products from one supplier, at low minimums for FFA.
More than ever before, use us in 2021 as your go-to pipe source. With us, buy only what you need, when you need it. Mix-and-match Copper Tube with Steel Pipe, PVC Pipe, Conduit, Strut & Rod to make our low weight minimums on your next weekly order.
- OxyChem declares force majeure on PVC, upstream products in Texas: letter. S&P Global. 2/16/21
- Houston Faces Dire Water Issues as Power Outages, Cold Push Texans To Their Limits. Weather.com. 2/17/21
- FACTBOX: More force majeures, shutdowns emerge from US Gulf Coast petrochemical producer. S&P Global. 2/18/21
- Service Updates for Areas Affected by Winter Storm Uri, 2/17/21
- The Global Shipping Backup on Video, 2/15/21
- PVC Pipe Increase Monday, 1/25/21